211 thoughts on “Joe Mercola: Quackery pays

“Treatment implies cure so DMARDS most certainly do not cure anything”?!

Oh dear, we must tell the dictionary Sarah says it is wrong. I’m sure it will gladly correct its error on her say-so. The poor, “septic” dictionary defines treatment as:

“the care and management of a patient to combat, ameliorate, or prevent a disease, disorder, or injury.”

DMARDs improve outcomes in RA in our world, but apparently not in Sarah’s world.

3. sarah007 says:

Harriet said: “treatment as:

That’s the all ecompassing modern health care system, the work fix covers everything. If I get the leak in my roof treated then I would expect complete resolution. If my doctor treats my ‘illness’ he can do anything from stick a plaster to implanting a new joint and still call it treatment!

Looks like the medics have got to the dictionary too.

Yes it is somewhat adictive talking to people who still fascinate at the wonders of ‘disease treatment’ and sexy fixes for things that don’t need sexy fixes.

4. WilliamLawrenceUtridge says:

Wow, seven plus zero certainly equals banana. I’m not even sure what the objection is. That drugs have adverse effects? That surgery is risky? Iatrogenesis? Strippers? Stripers? I think someone wants the last word.

5. DW says:

“Postmen at the time noticed that all the patients who ordered aspirin were dead by the following day and those who ordered homeopathic remedies survived,”

Oh, gosh. I haven’t read the whole thread but this really gave me a laugh.

6. DW says:

“reality sends it’s regards…..it misses them.”

Ha, I like that

7. DW says:

This is an important point. As I said to Sarah in another thread, I think sadism is lurking below the surface in a lot of CAM-style rhetoric. Sarah has expressed contempt for people in pain and people who are overweight, among others. Historically, these callous, victim-blaming ideas are rooted in punitive religious traditions. Originally opposition to vaccination was religious – diseases are God’s punishments, and fighting them would oppose God’s will. This is reflected today in beliefs such as Sarah’s that basically no one gets sick unless something was already wrong with them; essentially they deserved it. (Aside from the comical logic, in statements such as “Healthy plants don’t get sick.” No, really?)

Historically, I think we set aside punitive ideas about disease when we come to understand the disease, that is, as the science advances. The people clinging to these ideas today do seem to represent a poorly educated group, perhaps not equipped by their education to grapple with the science (I think we see this in Sarah’s inability to write sentences that aren’t run-ons or fragments and full of misspellings).

I can’t believe I read the whole thing …

8. mattyp says:

@Harriet:

9. sarah007 says:

DW ranted ““Don’t forget, only the weak get sick and die, and they’re not worth keeping anyway. Right Sarah? If you’re healthy, there’s no reason to get vaccinated because who cares if you give it to someone who already had AIDS, cancer, an organ transplant or some other impairment of the immune system – if you die of influenza, you deserved it. Right? Why should I contribute to herd immunity when I don’t benefit directly?”

That’s an interesting construct, why do weak people need to die they need help to get well? Herd immunity means whatever you want it to mean, it’s a theory.

“I think sadism is lurking below the surface in a lot of CAM-style rhetoric.” You can think what you like, mind numbing religious studpidity is at the forefront of your rational.

“Originally opposition to vaccination was religious – ” No lots of people saw lots of people dying from people like Jenner cutting them and rubbing pus into the wound. I saw a kid today who had reacted to the 5 in 1 meningitis conjugate, leg swelled up to size of a beach ball and went purple, won’t get reported as a vaccine issue though, docs said it cant be must have been an infection that went in with the needle! Needless to say she won’t be carrying on with vaccine woo. If we had an active reporting system this crap would flag up the real picture.

This is the same vaccine that killed 117 kids in its first year of use in the USA from FDA returns, the previous year 23 died from the diseases it was supposed to protect so the vaccine killed what 5 times as many as would have happened. 23 deaths is bad enough but to claim that the vaccine will protect with herd immunity is bull, look at the evidence.

Oh recent rants about India being polio free for a year dont include the 100′s who have got polio from the vaccine so is that what you mean by herd immunity? You know they dont count vaccine induced polio in the stats, we dont want confusion do we?

Harriet said “Damn! Sarah has hijacked what? 4 comment threads now? and I’m still succumbing to the temptation to respond to her absurdities. Must stop, must stop, must stop…”

I know how you feel, talking to people who believe in pandemic flu is borderline insanity but someone has to do it, imagine all those people looking at this site and reading this, is anyone doing an audit of whether you are converting or losing support, I’d love to know.

“Sarah has expressed contempt for people in pain and people who are overweight, among others. ”

No, that is your medical peer review cock in action. If people are in pain they deserve to know why, if I have a nail in my foot how can giving me morphine and sending me home be logical. Lilady has refused to tell us what she eats, is that because she is embarressed to share this with us, is she too lazy to consider taking responsibility for and aspect that may be the cause of her condition? If fat people are eating crap it is not a disease, for medics to pander to this and call it a surgical emergency is colluding in the lie and making bucks out of it. I don’t have sympathy, I have empathy.

10. sarah007 says:

Mattyp said “I genuinely think it’s someone having a laugh. I’m not even sure they believe what they are saying. I think they may just be trolling and stirring the pot for the heck of it.”

Well it is fascinating finding a group of flatearthers who actually believe in pandemic flu, it’s like watching dogs pissing on each other.