All Comments

• Badly Shaved Monkey { Thanks. I’ll have a look. A colleague practises this form of acupuncture and I’ve not read anything that directly addresses the claims made for it… } – Oct 26, 4:03 AM
  • PMoran { We all have a relationship with CAM — none more intimate than a blog called Science-based medicine on which nine out of ten articles discuss… } – Oct 26, 1:00 AM
  • Frederick { Remercie Alex Lifeson (Rush guitarist). C’est toujours un drôle de numéros! On peut voir ses deux collègues pas trop sûr de quoi penser lol. } – Oct 25, 11:34 PM
  • William { @Andrey “If it means chiropractic manages to go the route of DO’s in the US and become science based and work alongside DPTs in their… } – Oct 25, 11:31 PM
  • Windriven { Nicely said. } – Oct 25, 7:26 PM
  • Windriven { Manga science, just for Steve. } – Oct 25, 7:21 PM
  • Andrey Pavlov { and potentially of immense significance for an understanding of CAM and a rational relationship to it. The rational relationship is to pull anything and everything… } – Oct 25, 6:52 PM
  • PMoran { (Back on deck.) While a single study proves little, the mouse experiments may merely be demonstrating distraction as one component of the placebo complex. Thus,… } – Oct 25, 6:42 PM
  • Andrey Pavlov { Glad I wasn’t misreading you Sam. } – Oct 25, 6:36 PM
  • Sam Homola { Thank you, Andrey! I could not have penned a better response. Sam } – Oct 25, 6:23 PM
  • Andrey Pavlov { This supports an endorsement of NACM style practice I detailed above. It is very relevant and it bothers me that you haven’t seen the error… } – Oct 25, 5:45 PM
  • Andrey Pavlov { @Guest: Kudos for not just flouncing off. And for having the courage to admit realizing you were incorrect in this case. You are, of course,… } – Oct 25, 5:34 PM
  • Godzilla { Sam, You wrote, “t appears that chiropractors generally prefer to use spinal adjustments or a combination of spinal adjustments and alternative healing methods to treat… } – Oct 25, 3:02 PM
  • Guest { For what it’s worth, I’m ready to concede that I came at this issue from completely the wrong angle. I’m bipolar and it was one… } – Oct 25, 2:57 PM
  • Kenzie { http://saveyourself.ca/articles/trigger-point-doubts.php The article looks like it’s been updated since I read it. The author’s references will be better than anything I could come up with… } – Oct 25, 2:55 PM
  • Thor { :-) Merci, Frederick! Très amusant. And much clearer than anything SSR can come up with. } – Oct 25, 2:46 PM
  • Kenzie { I’m imagining studies being translated into infographics for the reading-impaired. That could be a fun sciencey art project. } – Oct 25, 2:45 PM
  • Badly Shaved Monkey { Got some citations? } – Oct 25, 2:07 PM
  • Frederick { Great Article, Doctor Jones! ( I like how it sounds! Harrison ford-like lol) I won’t write replies In the already crowded of good responses to… } – Oct 25, 12:14 PM
  • Sawyer { We also don’t allow doctors that downed a fifth of scotch to perform surgery on patients. How dare we dictate what doctors and nurses put… } – Oct 25, 11:37 AM
  • Chris { “What a smear of those who believe in the right to govern what goes into their own bodies.” Hospitals and other places of employment are… } – Oct 25, 11:13 AM
  • ThisGuy { Another sCAM classic here: “There are problems with the current approach!” Yes there are. Shouldn’t we then be making the approach even more rigorous? Methodic?… } – Oct 25, 7:32 AM
  • J { IT seems like an odd fad to not think critically. } – Oct 25, 7:17 AM
  • Måns Wallgren { Scientists are not arrogant, because they change when new proofs comes. They know we don’t know everything. The arrogance is to bark at the only… } – Oct 25, 6:01 AM
  • Badly Shaved Monkey { Stan Even if we don’t have a fully worked out theory of how gravity works (as if we ever could), simple scientific observations, such as… } – Oct 25, 4:54 AM
  • david { intuition. } – Oct 25, 12:01 AM
  • Flabbergastered { SSD “I would almost guarantee it works to minimize pain and malfunctions related to the greatest masquerader in medicine, Myofascial Pain and Dysfunction.” “I would… } – Oct 24, 11:38 PM
  • Stephen H { Ed, you know where to find me. } – Oct 24, 11:34 PM
  • Windriven { Steve doesn’t read studies. Too many words, not enough pictures. And the graphs have those funny lines. It would be OK if they were all… } – Oct 24, 11:07 PM
  • mouse { Well a needle might fix a carpet…but you’ll probable need a catapult to make it fly. } – Oct 24, 11:06 PM
  • Windriven { Our family doctor was named Alex Marcus. Family doctor, general surgeon, birther of babies. Delivered my father at home and me in a hospital. Used… } – Oct 24, 11:02 PM
  • Windriven { No Steve, laughing at your ignorance. And the beauty is there is plenty of your ignorance for all of us to laugh at. } – Oct 24, 10:57 PM
  • Beta Marie { Hahaha this is awesome. If you started a website for “AAAH” you’d probably get a bunch of True Believers who don’t understand satire to follow… } – Oct 24, 9:52 PM
  • Becky { I don’t understand why you bring up Gardner’s Multiple Intelligences hypothesis when that is really quite different to the learning styles idea that you’re actually… } – Oct 24, 9:25 PM
  • Becky { “But how can any of us evaluate the validity of Cuervo’s claims when he himself claims to have evidence counter to the established ideas in… } – Oct 24, 9:23 PM
  • Kenzie { Last time I looked into it, trigger point therapy wasn’t looking too good in studies. Has anything promising been published recently on the topic? } – Oct 24, 9:13 PM
  • MTDoc { Then I guess anti-oxidant therapy or anti-oxidants in general must be bad. Just wish these cretons (sic) could get their message straight before they pontificate… } – Oct 24, 9:13 PM
  • Xplodyncow { Calling for “antibiotics” in this fashion would never happen outside of a poorly written (is there any other kind?) medical drama on Lifetime. For some… } – Oct 24, 8:53 PM
  • MadisonMD { This is sad. Now if she had ten issues on her mind, I’d understand. (Maybe there were some other issues that the doctor had on… } – Oct 24, 8:44 PM
  • MadisonMD { Is that like saying U.S. citizens don’t trust politicians or the government, but happen to re-elect their own representatives more times than not? } – Oct 24, 8:39 PM
  • goodnightirene { Will needles fix my magic carpet? I paid a lot for it and it just doesn’t seem to want to fly. } – Oct 24, 8:28 PM
  • goodnightirene { Well, I just went to see my shaman and he sacrificed a chicken to help determine my totem. Turns out it’s a lemming! } – Oct 24, 8:19 PM
  • Windriven { Once again let me point out Steve, that at SBM your opinion is slightly less valued than Richard Nixon’s protestation that he was not a… } – Oct 24, 7:45 PM
  • brewandferment { not if you recruited a large enough group such that you offer a free pregnancy test to a group of women who are not attempting… } – Oct 24, 7:44 PM
  • MTDoc { Marc is dead! Nobody told me, but I am the last to hear. Seriously (please), This may be hard to believe. But my generation went… } – Oct 24, 7:43 PM
  • Windriven { I’ve done my homework, Steve. And what I know from doing my homework is that you are a charlatan – and a not particularly successful… } – Oct 24, 7:41 PM
  • Windriven { Steve, really … Can you do anything besides bray? You weary us with your tiresome, inane repetition. This is a place of science. You are… } – Oct 24, 7:38 PM
  • Windriven { “TCM is both a way of life and biological science.” In which fantasy land is TCM a biological science? } – Oct 24, 7:34 PM
  • Stephen S. Rodrigues, MD { The best alternative therapy which is the best option for long-term pain is myofascial release therapy with hands-on options and with needles. Yes, Acupuncture in… } – Oct 24, 7:20 PM
  • Stephen S. Rodrigues, MD { TCM is both a way of life and biological science. The “way of life” is a function of the way they perceive mother nature and… } – Oct 24, 7:06 PM
  • »»