All Comments

• PMoran { ANdrey: “As for the collapse of medicine… Peter yet again conflates situations and contexts.” How so? What is this sentence intended to mean, if anything?… } – Nov 27, 1:27 AM
  • Chris { Oh, come on! Mr/Ms VACCINES MAIM KILL surely you have some kind of data. Don’t be one of those “post and run” commenters who spew… } – Nov 27, 12:27 AM
  • brewandferment { That brings to mind something I’ve wondered about: certain skin care products, I think in the retinol category? or is it the exfoliants? both? anyhow,… } – Nov 26, 7:46 PM
  • Andrey Pavlov { Any editorialising and subtext has to appear to be proportionate to the context for a wide audience. Once people start asking “why do you care… } – Nov 26, 7:40 PM
  • Andrey Pavlov { Windriven’s concerns are indeed valid and also part of the equation. KayMarie makes excellent points as does Dr. Hall. There is indeed a trick to… } – Nov 26, 7:26 PM
  • Thinking_Chiro { Many points above to answer so here goes! In response to George: 1. Here is a link to some research I have cited on Edzard… } – Nov 26, 6:56 PM
  • MadisonMD { In most parts of the world, including North America, anyone can call themselves a Nutritionist. No training required. “Nutritionalist” gets extra style points and suggests… } – Nov 26, 6:51 PM
  • Windriven { Damned threading is maddening sometimes. } – Nov 26, 6:43 PM
  • Windriven { Or even an education. } – Nov 26, 6:37 PM
  • DrChexMix { I’m hoping for the same. As someone who is going into Psychiatry, I’m hoping to attend and be a part of a workshop for physicians. } – Nov 26, 6:17 PM
  • Tazia K. Stagg { (but I get that you’re trying to reason with Windriven and that is the kind of argument that might convince him) } – Nov 26, 6:11 PM
  • Tazia K. Stagg { No, you gotta say the right thing regardless of what quacks would want. “If it’s safe enough” according to whom? “Judge for yourself, that’s not… } – Nov 26, 6:09 PM
  • mouse { @Thor – there is sometimes a way to search by keywords in the comment thread. That way you can search for a name, date, etc…. } – Nov 26, 5:09 PM
  • PMoran { Despite appearances, II was responding to Harriet, W, not TC.. } – Nov 26, 5:03 PM
  • George Newsome { goodnightirene says: I wonder where the nearest RV Park is? The closest it Liberty Harbor Marina and RV Park. That’s across the bay from NYC…. } – Nov 26, 4:56 PM
  • PMoran { “that conveys a certain cavalierness toward the patient’s physical and financial well-being.” The opinion that “I don’t think that will work but if its safe… } – Nov 26, 4:49 PM
  • Skeptiquette { Haha, that was fun… but not as fun as watching the argument clinic (I had never seen that before) Thanks! } – Nov 26, 4:43 PM
  • bluedevilra { Will there be a poster session? Or is that a goal for future years? It would be great for med students and residents that could… } – Nov 26, 4:41 PM
  • Tazia K. Stagg { Many have quit me several times. } – Nov 26, 4:20 PM
  • Tazia K. Stagg { Before I knew enough to appreciate her as much as I can now, I had a high school English teacher who had created a poster… } – Nov 26, 4:06 PM
  • Thor { I’m 100% with you on this, George, and have expressed it a couple times. To me, the issue seems transparent, and it’s somewhat perplexing about… } – Nov 26, 4:03 PM
  • Tazia K. Stagg { Trick in combination with “to get them to think they figured out X for themselves” sounds like deception. I clarified your usage of trick; we… } – Nov 26, 3:57 PM
  • Trish { I bet the title :nutritionalist” was created to not accidentally call themselves something one might need a license to do. } – Nov 26, 3:53 PM
  • Trish { MLM amazes me – that people are willing to believe that they can become rich by selling the cheapest of products (soap/vitamins/cleansers/etc) in a demonstrably… } – Nov 26, 3:52 PM
  • Trish { “Superior telomere support for youthful aging” Best claim that is un-examinable by lay users ever! } – Nov 26, 3:41 PM
  • Dave { you might want to check to see if this isn’t being promoted in a way that looks very much like a multi-level marketing scheme (wink,… } – Nov 26, 3:32 PM
  • Windriven { “[C]hiropractic treatments don’t actually *do* anything beyond placebo.” George, I think I’m accurate when I say that Chiropractic treatments *do* have value above placebo for… } – Nov 26, 3:21 PM
  • Thor { :-) } – Nov 26, 3:19 PM
  • Thor { Kiiri!! That will be one lucky child, indeed. } – Nov 26, 2:59 PM
  • Thor { Thanks, that’s a neat way to access where comments can be found. I will use it in the future when needed. Unfortunately, it’s still requires… } – Nov 26, 2:54 PM
  • Frederick { That’s awesome, Since I started listening to SGU last summer (I listen 3.5 year of podcast in the summer lol), i think more and more… } – Nov 26, 2:47 PM
  • goodnightirene { That’s very cryptic, so let me be the one: It’s a SCAM. } – Nov 26, 2:34 PM
  • goodnightirene { Yay! I finally have a reason to make it to New York–I’ve been to the state, but not The City and it’s about time. What… } – Nov 26, 2:31 PM
  • MadisonMD { Or to put it another way does telomere loss actually matter? Good question. In the telomere model, perhaps stem cells produce some but not quite… } – Nov 26, 2:06 PM
  • Kiiri { I would love to go Dr. Gorski but if all goes well I will be about 7 months pregnant. So I am sure no more… } – Nov 26, 1:59 PM
  • Harriet Hall { The word trick does not imply deception. There’s a trick to making a perfect omelette. } – Nov 26, 1:07 PM
  • Tazia K. Stagg { (and it’s one reason I’m careful to not answer questions no one has asked) } – Nov 26, 12:58 PM
  • Tazia K. Stagg { Motivational interviewing may be tricky (difficult to practice) but it’s not a trick; it’s about teaching learners, not deceiving them. } – Nov 26, 12:56 PM
  • KayMarie { I think that doubling down thing, as well as how to get them to think they thought of it is why some of the motivational… } – Nov 26, 12:42 PM
  • Harriet Hall { The idea is that other “somatic” cells in the body reproduce more slowly, and that if we could make them express telomerase, the many changes… } – Nov 26, 12:27 PM
  • Fergus { Thanks for that that is clearer now. I should have seen about the stem cells dividing. I still have a problem though. If the cells… } – Nov 26, 12:15 PM
  • Harriet Hall { You must have missed this sentence in my article: “Telomerase is active in cells that can’t afford to stop dividing: embryonic cells, the testicular cells… } – Nov 26, 11:53 AM
  • Harriet Hall { Scientists have no conflict with believers who base their belief on faith. The conflict is with those who claim they have irrefutable proof that their… } – Nov 26, 11:51 AM
  • Tazia K. Stagg { Yes! She is funny! } – Nov 26, 11:40 AM
  • Harriet Hall { The cells that divide rapidly, like intestinal lining cells and the blood marrow cells that produce blood cells, have telomerase and are not subject to… } – Nov 26, 11:36 AM
  • Harriet Hall { “I like their risk/benefit analysis giving rise to propose action now.” Translation: I trusted them because they agree with my opinion. Then I looked for… } – Nov 26, 11:35 AM
  • Tazia K. Stagg { I’m not a slave or even a maid. } – Nov 26, 11:34 AM
  • Harriet Hall { I think the trick is to get them to think they figured out X for themselves rather than us telling them X. But that’s a… } – Nov 26, 11:32 AM
  • Harriet Hall { I tried talking to Eliza. It felt just like talking to one of our trolls. Frustrating, impossible to pin down. But at least she directly… } – Nov 26, 11:30 AM
  • Chris { “We saw how Wakefield suffered an UBER attack that was entiely unnecessary.” The best way you can defend Wakefield is to provide the data I… } – Nov 26, 11:14 AM
  • »»