All Comments

• SkepticWithMCS { I think there’s somatogenic IEI, psychogenic IEI and IEI misdiagnoses. And we need to very carefully select IEI study participants to filter out the later… } – Oct 01, 3:43 AM
  • Harriet Hall { “If none of these approaches worked, then they would have died off a long time ago.” Astrology doesn’t work, and it hasn’t died off yet. } – Oct 01, 2:14 AM
  • Avijit { Windriven “Evolution seldom makes errors? Nearly every species that has ever existed on this planet – well over 90% – are now extinct. Your understanding… } – Oct 01, 2:06 AM
  • Harriet Hall { If only one person gets better, how can you avoid the post hoc ergo propter hoc error? } – Oct 01, 2:05 AM
  • Avijit { WilliamLawrenceUtridge “The placebo effect is a short-term reduction in subjective pain, blockable with naloxene, because it’s merely the release of opioids. It cures nothing except… } – Oct 01, 1:20 AM
  • MadisonMD { When is the last time you heard of a disease being cured? Oh, goodness. C’mon, Rob. Please do read a book. Educate yourself a bit…. } – Oct 01, 1:18 AM
  • Dave { I see people who were cured of a disease all the time. You are probably too young to remember when many cities had hospitals dedicated… } – Oct 01, 12:58 AM
  • EBMOD { Angora’s post is excellent, mine will be much shorter. If you reject the scientific method, then just how DO you know what works? What method… } – Oct 01, 12:48 AM
  • Robert Gazy { No, I have no idea how limited you recognize your knowledge to be. Your arrogance is hiding it. On the other hand, I can see… } – Oct 01, 12:39 AM
  • KayMarie { No one said medicine was at its apex and no new discoveries or better methods would ever be discovered. And yes, chronic disease management needs… } – Oct 01, 12:32 AM
  • MadisonMD { You are dismissing centuries of anecdotal evidence with nothing but your opinion that you don’t like it and science has not (yet) shown that it… } – Oct 01, 12:30 AM
  • Dave { Robert, the history of mainstream medicine is full of discarded treatments which were once widely used because of anecdotal evidence, with prominent physicians recommending the… } – Oct 01, 12:26 AM
  • Windriven { Holy sh!t ! Nice detective work. Yeah, I’ll bet it tastes better to him! But I’m guessing Folgers is a little less spendy. ;-) } – Oct 01, 12:19 AM
  • Windriven { “At most my understanding of the medical realities creates an ethical conundrum – that is, competing, almost equal, ethical obligations,” I understand this to mean… } – Oct 01, 12:11 AM
  • Robert Gazy { You do know that the side-effects of these drugs often include some pretty serious side-effects, right? Including death? Have you ever watched an aging person… } – Oct 01, 12:08 AM
  • MadisonMD { Dr. R: I’m wondering where I can get Natural Health Sherpa and HealthSMART Coffee? Does it taste better than Starbucks? Can I buy it for… } – Oct 01, 12:02 AM
  • Windriven { “Usually, if anything, if it doesn’t work the patient gets told to do it more and longer (or blamed for not doing it right)” Or… } – Sep 30, 11:59 PM
  • MadisonMD { A huge arsenal of Quacker guns. } – Sep 30, 11:58 PM
  • Windriven { I’ve had a tough day but you’ve added a much needed bit of levity. I’d thank you if you weren’t such a douche. You have… } – Sep 30, 11:56 PM
  • KayMarie { Now suddenly I’m reading all your posts with a French Accent ala Beauty and the Beast. } – Sep 30, 11:49 PM
  • KayMarie { Oh, and in science-based medicine when we show that most people would heal without doing anything, you know what happens? The guidelines are changed to… } – Sep 30, 11:44 PM
  • Windriven { The giveaway to me is that actual doctors identify as, for instance, MadisonMD. They know they’re doctors and presume that you too will know that… } – Sep 30, 11:44 PM
  • Robert Gazy { No, they aren’t doing trials. They are doing healing. Scared they might emerge as a new leader in this field? Then you and Gorski will… } – Sep 30, 11:44 PM
  • KayMarie { But if I’m going to charge you thousands of dollars for a drug I have to prove it can do something, that it does do… } – Sep 30, 11:36 PM
  • Windriven { “You are merely trying to bully me out through willful misinterpretation of my comments. ” Oh bullsh!t. Be consistent enough to stand behind your assertions… } – Sep 30, 11:34 PM
  • Mike { Exactly correct! He’s a chiroquack! } – Sep 30, 11:33 PM
  • Robert Gazy { You are dismissing centuries of anecdotal evidence with nothing but your opinion that you don’t like it and science has not (yet) shown that it… } – Sep 30, 11:26 PM
  • Hannah { That’s how I found this place! } – Sep 30, 11:19 PM
  • SkepticWithMCS { We need a starting point, so it’s fine to define an idiopathic illness based on characteristics without objective findings. Not every emerging illness will readily… } – Sep 30, 11:12 PM
  • Robert Gazy { “If a patient would have gotten better anyway.” Can’t you say the same for conventional medicine? I mean, cuts heal without band-aids and infections resolve… } – Sep 30, 11:11 PM
  • Windriven { “I never said “sCAMs should be embraced.” I am saying that they should not be rejected …” A distinction without a difference. “and denied because… } – Sep 30, 11:11 PM
  • Windriven { Au contraire, I am simply asking for actual evidence on which to act. And that is quite scientific. Just ‘doing sh!t to people’ because you… } – Sep 30, 11:04 PM
  • Robert Gazy { I never said “sCAMs should be embraced.” I am saying that they should not be rejected and denied because of belief disguised as science, which… } – Sep 30, 11:01 PM
  • Robert Gazy { You are filling the gaps in knowledge with supposition and generality. Not very scientific of you. } – Sep 30, 10:58 PM
  • Windriven { Control yourself, Ed. I said ‘generally’ to a guy whose argument is that sCAMs should be embraced because … Well, just because. There is considerable… } – Sep 30, 10:57 PM
  • Angora Rabbit { Well I’m glad that Dr. Rhéaume-Bleue has caught up with the rest of us and finally realized that there are multiple forms of VK. We’ve… } – Sep 30, 10:50 PM
  • Robert Gazy { You are merely trying to bully me out through willful misinterpretation of my comments. There is theory and there is fact. There is no room… } – Sep 30, 10:46 PM
  • Chris { Sorry I mucked up the HTML… the link works. } – Sep 30, 10:43 PM
  • Chris { Actually I am reduced to being happy when they do their chores without grumbling (this includes a very nasty kitty litter box where the feline… } – Sep 30, 10:42 PM
  • Ed Whitney { That if it worked for one person but not another, that it didn’t work? Hold on a second! How about that the patients were different?… } – Sep 30, 10:40 PM
  • Angora Rabbit { You know, $tan, this is just your usual horsetwaddle and the New Excuse that you trot out when a study doesn’t give the result that… } – Sep 30, 10:31 PM
  • Windriven { ” If a treatment “really worked” for one person but not another, what does that tell the scientist?” Generally, that it didn’t. You really must… } – Sep 30, 10:24 PM
  • 4ensic { I was wondering what the explanations/excuses these homeopaths would put forward when their remedies failed to cure or “give a positive outcome” for say a… } – Sep 30, 10:19 PM
  • Windriven { He must be a pinball wizard ;-) } – Sep 30, 10:07 PM
  • weing { “After all, we don’t want to try something that the big drug companies can’t make a profit on.” If it works? Why not? If it… } – Sep 30, 10:03 PM
  • MadisonMD { If you can’t detect something, how do you know it is there? } – Sep 30, 10:02 PM
  • Windriven { They aren’t doing trials, they are exercising their deposit stamp. } – Sep 30, 9:59 PM
  • weing { “As one of the so-called “world experts” in my own field of research, allow me to give you a piece of advice: never idealize experts.”… } – Sep 30, 9:57 PM
  • KayMarie { But if a patient would have gotten better anyway. Nothing needed to be done, then by your discussion then every single thing they did worked…. } – Sep 30, 9:55 PM
  • MadisonMD { @Sawyer Would a positive PCR even show that a patient still had Lyme disease? I’m not sure how long Borrelia DNA circulates after the spirochete… } – Sep 30, 9:51 PM
  • »»