All Comments

• Frederick { That’s awesome, Since I started listening to SGU last summer (I listen 3.5 year of podcast in the summer lol), i think more and more… } – Nov 26, 2:47 PM
  • goodnightirene { That’s very cryptic, so let me be the one: It’s a SCAM. } – Nov 26, 2:34 PM
  • goodnightirene { Yay! I finally have a reason to make it to New York–I’ve been to the state, but not The City and it’s about time. What… } – Nov 26, 2:31 PM
  • MadisonMD { Or to put it another way does telomere loss actually matter? Good question. In the telomere model, perhaps stem cells produce some but not quite… } – Nov 26, 2:06 PM
  • Kiiri { I would love to go Dr. Gorski but if all goes well I will be about 7 months pregnant. So I am sure no more… } – Nov 26, 1:59 PM
  • Harriet Hall { The word trick does not imply deception. There’s a trick to making a perfect omelette. } – Nov 26, 1:07 PM
  • Tazia K. Stagg { (and it’s one reason I’m careful to not answer questions no one has asked) } – Nov 26, 12:58 PM
  • Tazia K. Stagg { Motivational interviewing may be tricky (difficult to practice) but it’s not a trick; it’s about teaching learners, not deceiving them. } – Nov 26, 12:56 PM
  • KayMarie { I think that doubling down thing, as well as how to get them to think they thought of it is why some of the motivational… } – Nov 26, 12:42 PM
  • Harriet Hall { The idea is that other “somatic” cells in the body reproduce more slowly, and that if we could make them express telomerase, the many changes… } – Nov 26, 12:27 PM
  • Fergus { Thanks for that that is clearer now. I should have seen about the stem cells dividing. I still have a problem though. If the cells… } – Nov 26, 12:15 PM
  • Harriet Hall { You must have missed this sentence in my article: “Telomerase is active in cells that can’t afford to stop dividing: embryonic cells, the testicular cells… } – Nov 26, 11:53 AM
  • Harriet Hall { Scientists have no conflict with believers who base their belief on faith. The conflict is with those who claim they have irrefutable proof that their… } – Nov 26, 11:51 AM
  • Tazia K. Stagg { Yes! She is funny! } – Nov 26, 11:40 AM
  • Harriet Hall { The cells that divide rapidly, like intestinal lining cells and the blood marrow cells that produce blood cells, have telomerase and are not subject to… } – Nov 26, 11:36 AM
  • Harriet Hall { “I like their risk/benefit analysis giving rise to propose action now.” Translation: I trusted them because they agree with my opinion. Then I looked for… } – Nov 26, 11:35 AM
  • Tazia K. Stagg { I’m not a slave or even a maid. } – Nov 26, 11:34 AM
  • Harriet Hall { I think the trick is to get them to think they figured out X for themselves rather than us telling them X. But that’s a… } – Nov 26, 11:32 AM
  • Harriet Hall { I tried talking to Eliza. It felt just like talking to one of our trolls. Frustrating, impossible to pin down. But at least she directly… } – Nov 26, 11:30 AM
  • Chris { “We saw how Wakefield suffered an UBER attack that was entiely unnecessary.” The best way you can defend Wakefield is to provide the data I… } – Nov 26, 11:14 AM
  • Windriven { Fergus. Are you serious? Yes, stem cells divide. } – Nov 26, 11:01 AM
  • Fergus { OK but do the stem cells divide? And then we have the same problem. } – Nov 26, 10:55 AM
  • EBMOD { That said, I have stopped responding to her and have effectively set her to ‘ignore’ since I agree that her presence is becoming pervasive and… } – Nov 26, 10:30 AM
  • EBMOD { I’ll admit to feeding the troll somewhat. But I do get a perverse entertainment out of the responses. For example, when the risk literacy site… } – Nov 26, 10:27 AM
  • EBMOD { I know many excellent, science based practitioners who hold religious belief, Christianity or otherwise. Both can co-exist. I think that the reason why religious types… } – Nov 26, 10:23 AM
  • KayMarie { Who said all human cells must divide every 24 hours? Also you do have stem cells in tissues that are a source for the terminally… } – Nov 26, 10:12 AM
  • Windriven { “Gee I hope I spelled that right.” Yeah. The accent is on the ‘Nut.’ } – Nov 26, 10:10 AM
  • Andrés { Tazia K. Stagg asked: Why do you trust the Vitamin D Council? (Why does that organization seem credible to you?) I like their risk/benefit analysis… } – Nov 26, 9:53 AM
  • Fergus { If cells can only divide about 50 times before the telomeres become too short and the cell dies, then if a cell divides about once… } – Nov 26, 9:52 AM
  • simba { I wish when I was a kid that someone had taken the time to sit my parents down and explain to them what exactly homeopathy… } – Nov 26, 9:05 AM
  • MadisonMD { (!):-) } – Nov 26, 9:00 AM
  • JustaReader { Then there’s the profession of “Nutrionalism”. My friend buys her supplements from a Nutritionalist. Gee I hope I spelled that right. } – Nov 26, 8:54 AM
  • Windriven { It doesn’t work, Madison. Actual transcript: W: Hello Eliza, are you a troll? E: Would you prefer if I were not a troll? W: Yes,… } – Nov 26, 8:52 AM
  • Windriven { (Head hangs in shame) } – Nov 26, 8:42 AM
  • Windriven { @Andrey “There is also a body of literature on how people will double down their conviction when faced with evidence to the contrary. ” I’m… } – Nov 26, 8:40 AM
  • MadisonMD { If either of you should develop the sudden urge to reply again, go here to satisfy it. No need to post here. Thank you George… } – Nov 26, 8:38 AM
  • Windriven { Thanks for taking the time to clarify, Peter. “[N]ot caring too much whether certain patients use certain kinds of CAM would help counter some of… } – Nov 26, 8:27 AM
  • Andrey Pavlov { Re: CAM users “often” use methods despite having doubts? At least some of this is part and parcel with the general rhetorical strategy of “I… } – Nov 26, 8:12 AM
  • Windriven { Yeah. But sometimes it is sooooo hard. And that, of course, is precisely the intent of this species of troll: jack the thread to keep… } – Nov 26, 7:58 AM
  • Windriven { A TRS-80 is a computer and not much of a compliment. } – Nov 26, 7:55 AM
  • Andrey Pavlov { Pavlov I think figured it out in the other article but re-engaged here. My apologies. You are correct. Consider my bag of troll bread to… } – Nov 26, 7:53 AM
  • Andrey Pavlov { Echoing Windriven’s comment, the mission here is about medicine. When that intersects with religion so be it, but the angle of attack should and is… } – Nov 26, 7:52 AM
  • Windriven { “In my humble view, SBM.org shouldn’t worry about offending any non-science based belief system, be it SCAM or religious.” The reason is that religion is… } – Nov 26, 6:15 AM
  • Windriven { Right you are, George. It is hard to believe that she is unremittingly abrasive, reflexively defensive, boringly narcissistic, and has yet to really make any… } – Nov 26, 5:56 AM
  • Windriven { ” I’m not finding anything about goodwill.” You used it all up some time ago. } – Nov 26, 5:40 AM
  • LoonOut { William Lawrence: My reply to your questions/statements is too long and don’t want to burden the site with it. I will, however, be putting it… } – Nov 26, 3:00 AM
  • PMoran { MMD is right. The reputation of the Kelley/Gonzales treatment with pancreatic cancer is based upon myth and partly due to inclusion of neuroendocrine tumours that… } – Nov 26, 2:08 AM
  • PMoran { I apologise, W. I do need to take more time on posts or hire someone to edit them for me. Re: CAM users “often” use… } – Nov 26, 1:56 AM
  • George Cross { But chiropractic treatments don’t actually *do* anything beyond placebo. You say you referred patients to a surgeon. Great. But for what conditions do you actually… } – Nov 26, 1:16 AM
  • George Cross { What is that? Like 10 minutes? Do you go to the “recent comments” and hit refresh on your browser every 30 seconds? That’s what I… } – Nov 26, 12:37 AM
  • «« »»