All Comments

• n brownlee { Uh, not exactly. A ratty old 10-volume set published in 1937. It’s pretty cool, though. I gave up on a current set- but only after… } – Jul 29, 12:39 PM
  • whoa { Well I am anonymous here whether you approve or not. I disagreed with my advisor on some important aspects of the research topic I had… } – Jul 29, 12:39 PM
  • EBMOD { You keep responding to my comments with arguments about Monsanto. Please address the astaxanthin/glaucoma question. I’m highly curious how you discovered this ‘truth’. } – Jul 29, 12:35 PM
  • AJB { I hear that the truth is that aliens take joyrides of hundreds or thousands of light years just to secretly create artistic patterns in farmer’s… } – Jul 29, 12:23 PM
  • Harriet Hall { “I have no argument that science isn’t useful, but it’s not infallible, and scientists are fooled all the time. Arrogance will prevent you from realizing… } – Jul 29, 12:16 PM
  • Harriet Hall { Confirmation bias strikes again! } – Jul 29, 12:12 PM
  • AJB { Maybe it’s one of those Universities that sends you the PhD of your choice (and a nice certificate, suitable for framing) once your check clears. } – Jul 29, 12:11 PM
  • stanmrak { “A whole lot better” is not the same as being ” the truth.” I have no argument that science isn’t useful, but it’s not infallible,… } – Jul 29, 12:10 PM
  • Harriet Hall { I’m impressed! } – Jul 29, 12:05 PM
  • stanmrak { The farce of GMO industry safety studies: http://www.gmwatch.org/index.php/news/archive/2014/15529-the-farce-of-gmo-industry-safety-studies } – Jul 29, 12:03 PM
  • WilliamLawrenceUtridge { There’s even a nice analogy to science – the real work is done through a series of careful steps by a small number of experts,… } – Jul 29, 11:43 AM
  • n brownlee { “You know what’s not free? A stay in the hospital from a perforated bowel.” Not to mention cutting into your time for chasing moose and… } – Jul 29, 11:42 AM
  • simba { I’m staking it all on my Terminologia Medica Polyglotta. A Latin-Bulgarian-Russian-English-French-German medical dictionary. I am not kidding. Sadly I know little about the writing and… } – Jul 29, 11:42 AM
  • WilliamLawrenceUtridge { Jebus, like the full 17-volume “takes up two specially-reinforced shelves” edition? Kudos, I suppose. Did you have to take out a second mortgage? Have you… } – Jul 29, 11:42 AM
  • WilliamLawrenceUtridge { How do you know the difference between good science and fraudulent science? How do you? Do you examine the control groups, compare the results to… } – Jul 29, 11:40 AM
  • Harriet Hall { “How do you know the difference between good science and fraudulent science?” There are ways. We try to explain them on this blog. Science does… } – Jul 29, 11:39 AM
  • simba { It says a lot that the scouring of the shire was done by the hobbits themselves. Not (my interpretation) because the Big Folk couldn’t have… } – Jul 29, 11:37 AM
  • n brownlee { All my many dictionaries and usage books are in English, for English. You win, Dr. Hall. } – Jul 29, 11:36 AM
  • n brownlee { LOTR was always Sam’s story- the triumph of the ordinary, working class (Englishman!) hobbit over evil- almost overwhelming evil. And as valiant, strong and pure… } – Jul 29, 11:33 AM
  • Harriet Hall { I only have one OED, but I have lots of other dictionaries, not only for English but for Spanish, French, Italian, German, Latin, Portuguese, and… } – Jul 29, 11:30 AM
  • stanmrak { How do you know the difference between good science and fraudulent science? Anyone who trusts that “Monsanto science” is good science hasn’t really looked at… } – Jul 29, 11:23 AM
  • simba { It is hilarious. Most of my memories (admittedly I haven’t read the books in ages) of Aragorn were of him playing with the ‘shining hero’… } – Jul 29, 11:22 AM
  • n brownlee { I’ll see your two OEDs and raise you a multivolume edition. } – Jul 29, 11:12 AM
  • WilliamLawrenceUtridge { Those sources you mentioned are all corrupted by political factions.All you’ve said with this statement is “I am going to ignore any sources that don’t… } – Jul 29, 10:56 AM
  • EBMOD { And I should add I see you continue to dodge my question about your websites’ claims regarding astaxanthin and glaucoma. As an eye doc, it… } – Jul 29, 10:48 AM
  • WilliamLawrenceUtridge { Food is required to live, enemas aren’t, so you will inevitably end up spending money or time acquiring food. Not to mention using enemas so… } – Jul 29, 10:46 AM
  • WilliamLawrenceUtridge { Gilbert Welch did this with Overdiagnosed. Jerome Groopman tried to do this as well, with much less success in my opinion, with How Doctors Think. } – Jul 29, 10:44 AM
  • WilliamLawrenceUtridge { Own a copy :) As well as two (two!) copies of the Compact Oxford English Dictionary. } – Jul 29, 10:43 AM
  • WilliamLawrenceUtridge { Distinguishing between truth and “making shit up” (also known as the prescientific method”) generally does require scientific evidence. You denigrate science because it challenges your… } – Jul 29, 10:42 AM
  • MTDoc { Neither does falsehood. } – Jul 29, 10:41 AM
  • EBMOD { What you are missing is that without evidence . . . how are we to know the difference? How do you KNOW what is truth… } – Jul 29, 10:40 AM
  • Bruce { Not to put too much of a dampner on any Aragorn wannabes, but it is my understanding that the true heros of the Lord of… } – Jul 29, 10:35 AM
  • stanmrak { Those sources you mentioned are all corrupted by political factions. They aren’t being truthful with you. You prefer to practice willful ignorance and deny that… } – Jul 29, 10:29 AM
  • Vladimir { “Problem solved, and you don’t have to buy anything except groceries.” This is the most expensive part. Enemas are free. } – Jul 29, 10:26 AM
  • stanmrak { Truth doesn’t need scientific evidence to exist, an idea that I’m sure baffles most of you here. } – Jul 29, 10:23 AM
  • KayMarie { Seems like the solution is “don’t binge eat”, not “use homeopathy”. Add some, maybe she was using the inappropriate pill at the inappropriate time at… } – Jul 29, 10:18 AM
  • simba { Sometimes people can find a story like this easier to understand than science, since a lot of people still adhere to the ‘you can prove… } – Jul 29, 9:47 AM
  • WilliamLawrenceUtridge { Lisa, if your mother-in-law comments on how convincing those testimonials are, and many people find testimonials convincing because that’s how humans are, you could ask… } – Jul 29, 9:46 AM
  • simba { Thank you! You should read Foyle’s Philavery. } – Jul 29, 9:44 AM
  • Cervantes { It would be worthwhile for a physician to write a book offering the legitimate apologies you propose. One difficulty in reducing overdiagnosis and overtreatment is… } – Jul 29, 9:41 AM
  • WilliamLawrenceUtridge { Here are some links I found really helpful while doing something similar: http://www.users.on.net/~pmoran/Sigh. } – Jul 29, 9:40 AM
  • WilliamLawrenceUtridge { Rocks also don’t get cancer, I wonder if someone will decide that vivisepulture* is a promising cancer treatment. Which it is, I can guarantee that… } – Jul 29, 9:39 AM
  • WilliamLawrenceUtridge { Why homosexuality is not a disease anymore, again?Well one main reason is that there was an accumulating body of evidence showing that homosexuality was not… } – Jul 29, 9:36 AM
  • WilliamLawrenceUtridge { One doesn’t need to prove global warming, it has been amply demonstrated and is becoming increasingly precise in its predictions. The main political problem with… } – Jul 29, 9:32 AM
  • WilliamLawrenceUtridge { Echoing Chris, because they work. Worried about smallpox lately? How about rabies? Polio? Are you continuously concerned about the impact of diptheria on the health… } – Jul 29, 9:28 AM
  • WilliamLawrenceUtridge { Jeff: Stop putting things in your butthole, and just let stuff come out of it instead. Stop putting non-foods in your face hole, and just… } – Jul 29, 9:24 AM
  • n brownlee { Stephen King already did it. } – Jul 29, 9:23 AM
  • WilliamLawrenceUtridge { Seems like the solution is “don’t binge eat”, not “use homeopathy”. } – Jul 29, 9:21 AM
  • simba { Thank you, that’s really helpful. People get so frightened about stuff like this, and in certain areas companies seem to be able to say what… } – Jul 29, 9:20 AM
  • WilliamLawrenceUtridge { Egastra, the error was mine. I said “day-to-day” with the implication of a thesis advisor being someone you could meet with or even just drop… } – Jul 29, 9:16 AM
  • «« »»