Gender Differences and Why They Don’t Matter So Much

You are currently browsing comments. If you would like to return to the full story, you can read the full entry here: “Gender Differences and Why They Don’t Matter So Much”.

Posted in: Evolution, History

Leave a Comment (209) ↓

209 thoughts on “Gender Differences and Why They Don’t Matter So Much

1. Quill says:

It goes far, far beyond that. Damn that Harriet! She’s cleverer than even Ophelia Benson and Amanda Marcotte suspect! She blazed a trail into military medicine in the Air Force 40 years ago, all as part of a nefarious plan to create a token place within the hegemony of the patriarchy of the skeptical movement based on her having created a token place within the hegemony of the patriarchy of the Air Force and protect it from upstarts like Rebecca Watson, who weren’t even born yet. Or something like that. I just can’t tell anymore, as the criticisms keep morphing.

Aha! “It goes far, far beyond that” and “…weren’t even born yet.” Now it is all clear! When Harriet Hall was a little girl, she woke up one night to find a large, blue British police call box in her back yard garden. A funny man stepped out wearing a very, very long colorful scarf, a hat, a bow tie or possibly all three and handed her a t-shirt, saying “Decades from now, you will need this!” And then he vanished in flashes of light and a funny grinding noise.

After Godwin’s Law has been re-proved, it seems aliens, time travel or Dr. Who must then become involved, especially when the person in question must have also something to do with Area 51 and concealing the fact that the Roswell crash alien was a -female-. Dr. Hall is indeed very, very clever! I bet her salt and pepper shakers look like Daleks, too.

I don’t know about Harriet’s salt and pepper shakers, but I own a cookie jar that’s shaped like a Dalek. :-)

But, yes, the involvement of The Doctor would make sense.

3. Quill says:

I knew there would be a Dalek connection! And it does make sense The Doctor is involved, especially when one (like many of the commentators on all this) stretches time and credulity to their molecular limits. It’s so clear! There was a Harriet and several Davids involved with the Doctor. We had a Prime Minister Harriet Jones played by Penelope Wilton who must, like, be a total signifier for Dr. Hall because, like, she is also female and wears glasses. And the Davids! Well, one Doctor was of course David Tennant. That should be proof enough. But it gets even more mysterious when you recall that one Davros and a cyber controller were played by actors name David!

Now that all this has been exposed I am confident the Time Lords will rectify the situation by fixing this loopy causality loop where wearing a t-shirt with words means you have made an offensive statement because an offensive statement was made on a t-shirt containing an offensive statement made out of words. fnord.

Don’t forget David Morrissey, who played Jackson Lake, a Victorian man who thought he was The Doctor. He’s now playing The Governor in The Walking Dead, and I’m sure there’s some connection there to be made from that.

5. mousethatroared says:

Damn- why did I start reading the comments tonight…Now I have an uncontrollable desire to drink martini’s from a Dalek shaped martini shaker, watch every episode of the latest season of Doctor Who (Which I have been saving for when I’m really depressed) and listen to The Smiths (well, if I drink the martinis and listen to The Smiths first, I should be adequately depressed to merit the Doctor Who marathon)…but I have no Dalek shaped martini shaker.

I’m pretty sure I loaned it to Harriet Hall.

I totally want a Dalek-shaped martini shaker now. And I don’t even make martinis at home.

I just want to know when the latest Doctor Who Christmas special will released a DVD in the USA.

8. Patrick says:

“White men aren’t really all that concerned about our male children having a very high likelihood of being thrown in prison for minor drug offenses; we middle class white folk are not so concerned about economic disparities as the poor people who can’t afford to attend a conference; male organizers aren’t as aware of the problems of finding child care as women, who are saddled with most of the child-rearing obligations, are. These are implicit biases in our views. This is racism, classism, sexism.

Seriously, every one of us is racist as fuck. We can’t help it.”

Is this not blatant hypocrisy? He criticizes Dr. Shermer for an allegedly “sexist” argument he presented, and bemoans the stereotypes in the secular movement that supposedly have a negative impact on female participation in “skeptic” circles, but then he goes on an irrational rampage by accusing white males of being racist and sexist! Myers is merely repeating the illogical left-wing stereotypes against white males, so having a rational dialogue with him on this issue is just not going to happen.

If anything, the far-left zealots are causing most of the problems in the skeptic community, as usual. They are annoying and are intellectual inferiors—it is so funny when they try to debate people like Pinker and Dawkins. And when they cannot debate logically, they turn to militant tactics such as dumping a pitcher of water on E.O. Wilson’s head. But then again, how can we expect to take cultural Marxism seriously? When PZ’s argument is stripped to its core, it is simply an ideological struggle—the fact that he called Shermer AND DR. HALL sexists has really disqualified him from any worthy attention. Rational people do not need ad hominem attacks.